7 reasons YOU should start a book club this Fall!
A book club is one of those things I feel people who have been out of school for a while start to consider. Think about it.. Many of us while in school have NO desire to touch another frickin’ book, as we have enough sitting in front of us on the daily. BUT, once we are out of school and start to adjust to real life, we soon start to feel like we could touch a book and maybe, just maybe…. even start reading for pleasure once again!
This Fall is the perfect time to start a book club of your own. Struggling with how to start a book club? Check out my previous post here.
As it starts to get colder and outdoor activities die down, other people will also be looking for a way to remain social and to pick up a new hobby.
Here are 7 more reasons to start a book club this Fall:
- Accountability to read more. No, your not the only one who needs a swift kick in the ass to actually get started on reading that book you have been wanting to dive into for months. A structured monthly book club meeting is that extra motivation and sense of accountability to get you reading… at least it should! … Says the girl who is on page 26 of her 300 page August book club read… it’s 3 weeks into August … 😉
- Connect with like-minded individuals. Let’s face it, it is harder as we get older to meet people who we actually want to spend our time with.. and shooting in the dark usually doesn’t work so well. A book club provides an opportunity to connect with people you at least know you have a few things in common with, being social and reading books!
- Become more open-minded about different book genres and people’s perspectives. You are going to be exposed to many different books and many that you probably wouldn’t have picked. Roll with it, get reading and you may surprise yourself! Even if you didn’t love the book, thats ok! Your not going to love them all but this is great way to see a new perspective, learn something and makes for great conversation at your monthly meet-up.
- To have a creative outlet to express yourself and your opinions in a safe environment. This a great way to be able to express your views on the book and share your unique perspective. Be sure everyone gets a turn talking, it’s super neat to hear each individual view.
- Consistent ‘night out’ to be social! Wahoo!! It’s a wonderful way to get your butt out of the comfort of your home and socialize with other people. Even if you don’t feel like going in the moment, we all feel that way once in a while, JUST GO!! Trust me, you will feel so much better afterwards and be glad that you did.
- An excuse to drink wine – Let’s get real, who needs an excuse?! But it is an enjoyable part of book club. Here’s a great sangria recipe, courtesy of Moi!
- You make the rules! Starting up your own book club allows you to make the rules and structure how you want your club to play out. So whatcha waiting for?!?! Start that Facebook group and get inviting!!
Book clubs really are the way to go, I’m telling ya.. for me they encompass so many of things I value in life including reflection, connection, creation, exploration, learning, and of course, most importantly, drinking wine!
What have been your experiences with book clubs? Would you consider starting one? Drop your thoughts below.